133 RED NEWSLETTER
April 8th, 2016
· WEEK OF THE YOUNG CHILD BREAKFAST: Save the date! Our annual Week of the Young Child Family Breakfast for Preschool/ Kindergarten is Thursday, April 14th from 7:30am – 9:00am. If you have a younger sibling in the Infant or Toddler program, they will be holding their breakfast on Friday, April 15th. Please refrain from bringing siblings between program breakfasts. It is a wonderful opportunity to spend one-on-one time with your older or younger child. We appreciate your understanding and look forward to seeing you all there!
Book Fair: During WOYC, Allison Mengarelli, Manager of the Book Bin in Northbrook will hold a special book fair in our mini-gym. Books will be for sale on Thursday, April 14 7:30-9:30 am and on Friday April 15 7:30-9:30am. The book fair will also be available on-line from Monday, April 11- Monday, April 18. We hope you take advantage of this opportunity to purchase books for your children, friends and family. You might even find the perfect book to present as a gift to your child's classroom!
Clothing Drive: In order to support underserved children and their mothers, we will be sponsoring a clothing and cleaning supply drive for The Lake County Haven during WOYC as well. Spring is a great time of year to de-clutter and donate. Look for signs and bins throughout the school and help by providing gently used clothing and supplies for children and moms in need of them
· A VISIT FROM WAGNER FARMS: Wagner farms will be visiting our school to educate the children about the animals on their farm and what these animals do for us! If you would like your child to participate in the visit from Wagner farms, please have your child at school by 9:30 am. Thank you!
· SPANISH SCHEDULE CHANGE: For the remainder of the year, Spanish class will be held on Tuesdays instead of Thursdays.
· NO DANCE MONDAY: Dance class will not be held on Monday April 11th, dance make up day will be held on Friday April 13th.
· DANCE MAKE UP: The week of April 18th, dance class will be held on Friday April 22nd.
Name: Earth Day Celebration 2016
Date: April 17, 2016
Time: 12:00 PM - 4:00 PM CDT
Travel through time to experience how Emily Oaks has changed over the past 200 years and discover how people have played a part in shaping the land from prairies to the present! Earth-friendly foods will be available for sale. Join the celebration of Earth at Emily Oaks! ENTERTAINING ACTIVITIES * EARTH-FRIENDLY FOODS * ANNUAL NATIVE PLANT SALE Sponsored by Whole Foods Market Sauganash
Emily Oaks Nature Center, 4650 Brummel St., Skokie, IL. 60076
April 17, 2016 Noon-4pm
This week for group time we learned about Michelangelo Buonarroti. Michelangelo was a very accomplished artist who lived from 1475 to 1564. He is known for many masterpieces such as the massive sculpture, The David, as well as his large painting project on the ceiling in the Sistine Chapel in Rome. The children saw his many pieces or art but we thought it would be fun to let the children paint the same way Michelangelo did when he painted the Sistine Chapel, on his back! We taped a large piece of paper to the bottom of the art table and each child had a turn to lay on their back to paint their own section of the larger painting. They thought it was so fun to paint this way and thought that Michelangelo must have gotten a lot of paint in his hair!
We also learned about Georges Seurat. He was an artist who had his own special way of painting. He painted with small dots of paint to create a larger image. This method of painting is called, "pointillism". On Thursday we had the children try it out. The children used our large dot markers in a bright color to create a figure on their page, they chose squares, triangles, circles, and ovals. They then used a darker color to fill in the rest of the paper to make their figure really pop out. The children worked really hard to create their images!
Next week, our student teacher, Kayla Barnvos, will be taking over our classroom to complete her "Take Over Project". She will be focusing on restaurants. This will include different kinds of restaurants and what kinds of food you can order at them, who works at a restaurant, and the different areas that make a restaurant work. Her project will last from April 11th- April 28th. We cannot wait to see what she has in store for us!
HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND!
Hilary, Gina, and Jessica