Toddler 2 Lesson Plan
- There are many different kinds of birds. Some common birds we see where we live are cardinals, blue jays, robins, geese, pigeons, owls, and sparrows.
- More exotic birds are are hummingbirds, eagles, ostriches , peacocks, toucans, penguins, parrots and more.
- Birds live in nests that they build in trees with sticks, branches and leaves.
- Birds eat a variety of foods which include seeds, plants and worms.
- The majority of birds can fly, and they use their wings to do so.
o Read Puffin Peter by Petr Horacek. Discuss the different types of birds- what are their differences and similarities?
o Go through the homemade book we created of various types of birds. Discuss where they live, what they eat, and their physical characteristics.
o Do the magnet board “There was a hole.” Talk about where birds live and the fact that birds come from eggs rather than their mommy’s belly.
o Read Will You Be My Friend? By Nancy Tafuri. Talk about how both characters, bird and bunny, live in the same tree and become friends.
o Ask the children “If you were a bird, where would you fly to?” Record answers.
o Paint bird houses
o Make bird nests with cupcake wrappers, shredded paper and bird seed.
o Glue feathers on to small paper plates
o Paint with peacock feathers
o Paint toilet paper rolls then glue together to make binoculars for bird watching.
- Cooked noodles to resemble worms.
- Dirt and bugs.
- Feathers, boxes and tongs
- Paint cotton balls in sensory table, then bake to create bird eggs.
Visit our arboretum in the front of the school and bird watch.